Thursday, August 16, 2007

British food: Yay or Nay?



This is a picture taken at an Irish pub when I was in London last summer (July '06). All I've ever heard about British food was that it was bland and rather boring. Just how boring could it be? I had to give it a try to find out for myself.

In the picture, we've got steak and kidney pie to the left, Guiness beef stew in the far back, and good ol' fish n' chips to the right. Oh, and you can't forget the Mexican beer (Corona)!

The verdict: It tastes like how it looks. There are certainly no surprises here. I suppose it is decent and certainly edible, but I'd choose me some bibimbap or a hamburger any day. I just find British food to be rather heavy and fattening. If I were a full-time vegetarian, it would be hard to find something in a pub. I guess British food isn't really for the health concious. Goodness, they serve so much meat, even in the morning! So many things are made out of lard, but I have to admit, lard makes things taste so much better.

I think my favourite thing to eat in England are the pastries. I love the flaky dough of the Cornish pasties and sausage rolls. Pastries to England are like hotdogs to Toronto. The first thing I ate when I stepped off the plane was a Cornish pasty filled with something so good that I can't remember. If I lived in London, I would probably live off these things. So filling and cheap! I would probably also resemble Bridget Jones in the weight department too.


What are your thoughts on British food?

Did you know?:

In 1762, the sandwich was invented in England.
There is a town named Sandwich in the south of England. John Montagu, the Earl of Sandwich invented a small meal that could be eaten with one hand while he continued his nonstop gambling.

2 comments:

silencio said...

So what were your conclusions on
British food? I lived there for
a year, and was not impressed...fish & chip
shops get tired after awhile,
and so did having a kabob shop
on every corner - had to go to
France to find suitable cuisine.

silencio said...

Happy to be your first comment!
I've become quite familiar with
Toronto, so I also favour the
food here...I'd have to spend more
time in France.
There actually was one great restaurant I found in London...
it was called Wagamama's - a noodle
bar that I returned to a few times. There were a few, but I went to the one in Camden. Try it if you ever find yourself back there.